Sunday School Restarted December 6!
Morningside Baptist Church restarted Sunday School on December 6 for those who can attend. We have tried to do it in the safest and most practical way possible. Uncertainty and change have been the norm throughout our COVID-19 journey. Sunday School is no exception. Some of our members and teachers are uncomfortable attending due to personal or family heath concerns. We must respect each individual’s and each family’s decision in this matter.
Because of these uncertainties, we restarted Sunday School in a completely different structure with fewer classes. Obviously, some teachers will not be used for some time. As we see how many attend and monitor the health of our community over the coming months, we will prayerfully decide when and what adjustments to make.
New Sunday Morning Schedule as of December 6:
8:15 am – Mask Required Worship Service
9:15 am – Sunday School classes for all ages (see below)
10:30 am – Mask Optional Worship Service
Preschool – Preschool & Children’s Wing:
Children – Preschool & Children’s Wing:
1st & 2nd Grade
3rd & 4th Grade
Mask-required class for Preschoolers and Children – Building C (connected to the Worship Center)
All youth (coed) – Harbor Room (B-103)
College & Career:
All students (coed) – C&C Building
Masks optional (all ages, coed) – Youth Building
Masks required (all ages, coed) – Worship Center
- Those who are comfortable attending Worship and Sunday School only if everyone present wears a mask may attend the mask-required Worship service at 8:15 am, and then remain in the Worship Center for the mask-required Adult Sunday School class at 9:15 am. Children and Youth are welcome to attend the mask-required class with their parents.
- All others who are comfortable attending Worship and Sunday School regardless of whether everyone wears a mask may attend their appropriate Sunday School class at 9:15 am, followed by the mask-optional Worship service at 10:30 am.
- Any parent who is uncomfortable sending their child to his/her assigned class may bring the child with them to the adult class they attend.
Other Health and Safety Concerns
- Social distancing is encouraged for all students and teachers.
- Social distancing is challenging with Preschoolers and Children, but our teachers will try to keep the kids separate as much as is practical.
- Facemasks are required for those attending the mask-required Adult Sunday School class in the Worship Center.
- Facemasks are required for Preschool and Children’s teachers throughout the duration of Sunday School class time.
- Facemasks are encouraged but optional for all other teachers and students over the age of 2.
Sanitation and Hygiene:
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available in all areas where Sunday School classes meet.
- Students and teachers will be encouraged to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before and after class.
- Classroom doors will be left open to minimize contact with doorknobs and increase air flow.
- Supplies for Preschoolers and Children will be kept in individual Ziploc bags, with a bag assigned to each child. Only the student will open his or her bag and handle its contents. After the students return the supplies to their bags, teachers will sanitize the outside of the bags.
- Parents must send snacks for their Preschoolers and Children. The church will not provide snacks.
The above plan is far from perfect or complete, but it is much better than not having Sunday School at all. Changes will undoubtedly be needed once we start meeting. The exciting news, however, is that Sunday School is coming back! With it will come opportunities for studying the Bible together, reaching out to and inviting others to join in, and ministering to those in our Sunday School and our community.
Everyone must do what is best for the health and safety of themselves and their family. Therefore, we completely understand any teachers or members who choose not to attend at this time. The following scripture should be our guiding principle.
3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.